A traditional hammam (Public Bath) located at the middle of the town provided hot baths for the local population. The hammam, which survives today, was built in 1775 by Qassim Agha Abdullah. The plan is typically designed along traditional Islamic principles of public baths.
First, one entered the outer hall (Barrani) which measured about 9 by 9 meters and was surmounted by a large dome. Then, one proceeded to the middle hall (Wastani) which was slightly warmer in temperature. Then one entered the inner hall (Jawani) which was very hot and steamy. This inner hall, which was square in plan measuring some 11 by 11 meters and had 6 alcoves for private bathing, was also surmounted by a large dome that had many small round glass openings (Oculus) to provide natural light inside.
The hammam was allocated for women until 11 in the mornings and after that it was used by men. Public baths also provided ample opportunities for social contacts, gossip, and other daily affairs. Water for the hammam was obtained from an ancient well which was more than 60 meters deep. The well survives today. For fuel to heat the hammam dried twigs and vegetation as well as rubbish thrown away by residents was collected daily and dried under the sun and then burnt to heat the water cistern and the under-floor (Hypocaust) of the inner hall.
However, since the 1940s, most hammams in Iraq changed their fuel to oil. Public baths were very popular and necessary because most people had no proper hot baths at their homes. Traditional hammams started to lose their popularity since the 1960s and most of them have been demolished or used for other functions. The hammam of the citadel ceased to function in the 1970s and was restored in 1980 but was left empty.
It is also hoped here that this hammam would be rehabilitated and used once again as a public bath.