Historically, the town was divided (not physically) into three traditional quarters (Mahallas). These were:
1. Serai: Occupied the eastern side of town and so-called because it included the Serai of the southern gate. It was largely occupied by the rich families (Chalabis) and government officials and notables (Aghas).
2. Takya: Occupied the central and northern part of the town and so-called because it contained several takyas for dervishes.
3. Topkhana: Occupied the western side and inhabited largely by craftsmen and farming families. Its name suggests that it contained cannon to defend the town against attackers. It is said that this cannon was made around 1820 by a certain Usta Rijab al-Kurdi of Rawanduz.
The divisions of these three residential quarters were not clearly defined and some social overlap was inevitable. However, a \"Tapu\" land registration map dated 1920 shows that the citadel had some 506 plots divided roughly equally into three quarters. The lines which defined the boundaries on this map did not follow any obvious logic but meander in a zigzag manner following plot boundaries rather than major alleyways.
Available population statistics of the citadel show a noticeable decline not only in the number of inhabitants but also in the number of houses as follows:
1947- 4320 inhabitants and 475 houses
1957- 5128 inhabitants and 641 houses
1977- 3602 inhabitants and 496 houses
1984- 4466 inhabitants and 375 houses
1995- 1631 inhabitants and 247 houses
These figures clearly show the gradual decline in the population of the town and the disappearance of almost 50% of its houses due to decay and collapse.